These are some of the key organizations and websites that provide information on healthcare and health reform.
Policy – Advocacy – Illinois – Federal
Policy research and data
- ACASignups.net – An independent data site tracking Medicaid and Marketplace enrollments under the ACA nationally and by state.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities – A policy organization working at the federal and state levels on fiscal policy and public programs that affect low- and moderate-income families and individuals.
- County Health Rankings – A collaboration between the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute that measures vital health factors in counties across America.
- Healthcare Reform GPS – A joint project of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the Hirsh Health Law and Policy Program of the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services to explain policies related to the ACA.
- Kaiser Family Foundation – An organization dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health.
- Kaiser Health News – A nonprofit news service providing in-depth coverage of healthcare policy and politics.
- KFF Health Reform – A collection of resources and infographics on the ACA from Kaiser.
- National Conference of State Legislatures – Health – The NCSL health site, providing health reports and updates, and tracking the ACA-related bills considered by states.
- Rob Paral Associates – A research and evaluation firm for family and community development. The firm has generated a number of census-based data sets that have been used by IHM.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation – The nation’s largest philanthropy devoted solely to the public’s health. It is a source for research and information on health and health reform issues.
- Urban Institute – Health – The institute’s section devoted to resources and publications on health and healthcare. Institute health researchers study ACA issues as well as cost, coverage, and reform options for Medicare and Medicaid and analyzes healthcare trends.
Advocacy and outreach
- Citizen Action – A political coalition working for social change and economic justice in Illinois and across the nation.
- Community Catalyst – A national nonprofit advocacy organization working to build the consumer and community leadership to transform the American health system.
- Doctors for America – A national movement of more than 16,000 physicians and medical students in all 50 states working to improve the health of the nation and to ensure that everyone has access to affordable, high-quality healthcare.
- Enroll America – A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that provides guidance, technical assistance, and advocacy to maximize the number of Americans who are enrolled in and retain health coverage.
- Families USA – A national organization working to achieve high-quality, comprehensive, and affordable healthcare for all Americans.
- Get Covered America – A nonprofit, nonpartisan campaign of Enroll America focused on raising public awareness and engaging consumers about their new, affordable health insurance options.
- HIV Health Reform – A site that educates the HIV community about the opportunities through the ACA to improve healthcare access for people with HIV.
- Obamacare Facts – A privately owned site dedicated to providing unbiased information on the ACA, healthcare reform, and the health insurance marketplace.
- Out2Enroll – A coalition working to ensure that that LGBT communities benefit from ACA healthcare reforms.
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law – An organization providing national leadership in advancing laws and policies that secure justice and improve the lives and opportunities of people living in poverty. The Shriver Center supplies subject-matter expertise to HelpHub.
- Small Business Majority – A national advocacy organization, founded and run by small business owners that focues on addressing issues experienced by small businesses today. The organization works to publicize the ways that the ACA has removed a significant impediment to entrepreneurship.
- Young Invincibles – A national organization, working to engage young adults on issues such as higher education, healthcare, and jobs.
Illinois agencies and organizations
- ABE – Application for Benefits Eligibility, the place to apply online for Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps) and cash assistance from the state of Illinois.
- All Kids – The state Child Health Insurance Program program.
- Asian Health Coalition – A coalition supporting the development and implementation of culturally and linguistically appropriate programs and initiatives to improve the health and well-being of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Illinois. The coalition provided translations of many ACA materials in IHM’s Languages resources.
- Be Covered Illinois – An ACA information website created by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois.
- Campaign for Better Health Care – A grassroots coalition of more than 300 local and statewide organizations concerned about healthcare and wellness. The organization is a leading health reform advocate and a partner in the Small Business Health Collaborative.
- CountyCare – A Medicaid benefits program for adults in Cook County. It was launched in advance of ACA Medicaid expansion and is becoming a Medicaid coordinated care network.
- Department of Healthcare and Family Services – The Illinois agency responsible for providing healthcare coverage for adults and children who qualify for Medicaid.
- Department of Insurance – The Illinois agency responsible for regulating the insurance industry’s market behavior and financial solvency.
- DHFS Client Enrollment Broker – The online tool to enroll in a Medicaid managed care plan. The broker is also available by phone at 1-877-912-8880.
- El Mercado de Salud Oficial – Una página web donde puede encontrar mucha información sobre las opciones de seguro de salud y su elegibilidad. (The Official Health Marketplace: A website where you can find a lot of information about health insurance options and eligibility.)
- EverThrive Illinois – Formerly the Illinois Maternal and Child Health Coalition. The organization works to improve the health of women, children, and families over the lifespan through community engagement, partnerships, policy analysis, education, and advocacy. EverThrive is a key partner in ACA outreach efforts.
- Get Covered Illinois – The official health insurance marketplace in Illinois.
- Health & Medicine Policy Research Group – Formed in 1981 by a group of clinicians, social scientists, healthcare executives, and policy analysts to advocate for health equity and improved public health of all people in Illinois.
- Health Benefits for Workers with Disabilities – A state program whose goal is to help people with disabilities work with full Medicaid healthcare benefits.
- Health Care Reform & Illinois – The state’s site devoted to ACA-related news across all state agencies.
- Heartland Alliance – A 125-year-old organization working to end poverty in the Midwest, with programs in the areas of housing, healthcare, jobs, and justice.
- HelpHub – A message board for enrollment specialists in Illinois. This online community allows navigators and outreach experts to share their experiences helping consumers enroll into new healthcare options through the ACA.
- Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights – A coalition of groups that educates and organizes immigrant and refugee communities to assert their rights. ICIRR promotes citizenship and civic participation; monitors, analyzes, and advocates on immigrant-related issues; and informs the general public about the contributions of immigrants and refugees.
- Illinois Comprehensive Health Insurance Program – A state health benefits program that helps qualified individuals to obtain health coverage.
- Illinois Health Connect – A site for selecting a primary care physician if enrolled in Medicaid. It can also provide information about providers who accept Medicaid.
- Illinois Health Resources Repository – A searchable website, created for Illinois navigators and assisters, that provides information on social healthcare services.
- Illinois PIRG – A public interest research group that seeks to help people fully participate in a democratic society.
- University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health – A graduate school that has been involved in coordinating training for Illinois’ ACA navigators and outreach efforts.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services – The federal agency that administers Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, and the federal health insurance marketplace, which collectively cover 100 million people. CMS is a component of HHS.
- Department of Health and Human Services – The federal government’s principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services.
- HealthData.gov – The federal health data portal. It brings together health- and healthcare-related data from a number of federal agencies.
- Medicaid – The source for federal policy and program information about Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, and the Basic Health Program.
- Medicare – The federal health insurance program for people 65 and older. It also covers younger people with certain disabilities. It is administered by CMS and is America’s largest health insurance program.